Another One… Student Collapses at Arrowhead Basketball Game – AED Used to Revive Him

by J Pelkey
0 comment

A male student from Hartland Arrowhead collapsed at 8:15 p.m. Friday during the Warhawks’ basketball game against Catholic Memorial.

The Arrowhead game manager, Jeff Staus, rushed into the stands with a defibrillator (AED) and revived the boy. An ambulance later took the boy to a local hospital.

It is unclear what medical event the boy suffered but Staus said he appeared to be OK.

FOX 6 reported:

Newsletter Signup

HARTLAND, Wis. – There was more on the line at an Arrowhead Union High School boys basketball game than winning or losing Friday night, Feb. 17.

A FOX6 News crew was at the game between Arrowhead and Catholic Memorial when a student collapsed in the stands. Just like when NFL player Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest on the field, a quick response may have saved a life.

“The gym was very well-attended, the first and second place team in the conference,” said Jeff Staus, who teaches physical education and health at Arrowhead.

More important than fast moves on the court was a quick response in the stands. The game was postponed after the student suddenly collapsed with several minutes left to play.

“It was unsettling,” Staus said. “Any emergency situation like that, anybody, when it’s a student it’s even more in my eyes ‘Let’s go.’”

Staus said his son ran down from the student section to sound the alarms. Staus then run up with an AED, but says it was a collaborative effort that included medical professionals.

“It was hectic, it was crazy, but everybody even had a piece in what happened. It wasn’t just me,” said Staus.

In a statement, the Hartland Fire Department commended the school for its “exceptional and decisive response” while an ambulance was en route to get the student to a hospital. HFD said there was the “reported use of an AED by on-site staff members” on Friday. On Saturday, the fire chief wasn’t able to confirm the AED was actually administered, but Staus said he was nearly positive it was used. 

The fire department wasn’t able to give an update on the student’s condition.

Staus said the student appeared to be OK after the medical response Friday night, but he hasn’t heard an update on his condition yet.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Breaking Digest is focused on reporting breaking news that matters to the American people.

Edtior's Picks

Latest Articles