On Friday, President Trump released a statement in response to Joe Biden’s decision to deploy reserve forces to Europe.
On Thursday, Joe Biden issued an order to activate up to 3,000 military reservists for deployment in Europe.
“I am providing notice that I have authorized the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Department of the Navy, to order to active duty members and units of the Selected Reserve and appropriately designated Individual Ready Reserve members, without the consent of the member concerned, pursuant to 12304(a) of title 10, United States Code,” a White House statement read.
“Reserve mobilizations under this authorization are not to exceed 3,000 total members at any one time, of whom not more than 450 may be members of the Individual Ready Reserve. These Reserve Component forces are to augment the active forces for Operation Atlantic Resolve to enhance the United States’ ability to sustain its heightened level of presence and operations in support of United States European Command,” the statement continued.
Joe Biden’s directive comes in the wake of his recent five-day visit to Europe, where he visited the United Kingdom, Lithuania, and Finland. The primary objective of the trip was to demonstrate the solidarity and power of the international coalition in response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
President Joe Biden signed an executive order Thursday that will allow the Pentagon to tap into reserve forces for deployment to Europe as part of its long-standing NATO mission on the continent.
According to a copy of the order released by the White House, it allows the military to use up to 3,000 reserve service members to augment its forces in Europe, which grew in reaction to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The Pentagon said last year it increased the troop presence on the continent by about 20,000 troops as Russian President Vladimir Putin attempted to seize the country, bringing the total U.S. force in Europe to more than 100,000.
“It’s unlocking additional forces for use in support of this operation,” the Pentagon’s top spokesman, Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder, told reporters on a phone call Thursday.
From the U.S. Department of Defense:
U.S. European Command is preparing to use this new authority in continuation of U.S. commitment to NATO’s collective security, stated Eucom spokesman Navy Capt. Bill Speaks in a news release today.
“These authorities will ensure long-term resilience in Eucom’s continued heightened level of presence and operations. This will not change current force-posture levels in Europe,” Speaks said.
These new authorities are an important demonstration of the U.S. commitment to allies and partners and provides Eucom with greater flexibility to provide key entitlements to the forces who support those commitments, Speaks said in the release.
From the White House:
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 121 and 12304 of title 10, United States Code, I hereby determine that it is necessary to augment the active Armed Forces of the United States for the effective conduct of Operation Atlantic Resolve in and around the United States European Command’s area of responsibility. In furtherance of this operation, under the stated authority, I hereby authorize the Secretary of Defense, and the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service in the Navy, under their respective jurisdictions, to order to active duty any units, and any individual members not assigned to a unit organized to serve as a unit of the Selected Reserve, or any member in the Individual Ready Reserve mobilization category and designated as essential under regulations prescribed by the Secretary concerned, not to exceed 3,000 total members at any one time, of whom not more than 450 may be members of the Individual Ready Reserve, as they deem necessary, and to terminate the service of those units and members ordered to active duty.
This order is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.
“Joe Biden’s decision to mobilize reserve forces proves that his reckless escalation in Ukraine is straining the U.S. military to the point of disaster,” Trump said.
“Just last week, Biden shockingly admitted that our arsenals are so badly depleted that the United States is running out of ammunition. Now, we see the ranks are growing so thin that reserve troops are being forced to support Biden’s calamitous policy in Europe, while our own borders remain undefended,” he added.
Read the full statement below: